Thursday, March 21, 2013

This just got real

I feel like we don't quite know each other that well yet.
So I'll start. 

My name is Lauren, and I live in rural Appalachia. Mister and I are tenants in the house my 3-legged cat allows us to stay in. She's a real killer, so we do what we're told.

I've let you know that I have a strong affinity for neutral home decor as well as cooking. I love trying new things, and I believe I was put on this earth to help people (mister) be more adventurous with food (vegetables). Some of my greatest achievements in this area are discovering these beautiful recipes.
Kale and White Bean Soup
Honey Balsamic Radicchio

Arugula and Ricotta Pizza. This comes straight from the super secret recipe book. A girl has to have some secrets.
I am still beginning to style my habitat but there are a few pieces I'm very proud of. There is a beautiful antique store down the street called The Cottage. Their store is inside of an old bank and there is a gorgeous 8 foot safe in the back of the store. I nabbed a few great gold frames there that hold a Picasso (one of my very favorites) and sketches done by a local folk artist, Fred Cooper. He has done dozens of sketches of historical sites around the Shenandoah Valley, and my desire to learn local history comes from my dad.



The color behind the sketch is Benjamin Moore's Newburg Green. My house is only 495 square feet, but the deep teal color obscures where the walls end, making the room appear slightly larger than when it was painted a lighter color. Such dark walls also give me license to buy lots of white and ivory. I love white.

Speaking of gin. 
I feel the need to stick up for Citadelle. Hendricks is not all that. Citadelle has the same full flavor but with a tenderness that feels like the good friend you would want to join at Happy Hour. Gin and Tonics are my favorite libation, but lately I've been mixing miss Citadelle with POM and it's delicious!

As mentioned earlier in the life of this little bloggy, I've been trying to work out more regularly. I truly believe that good food and physical activity are the fountain of youth and best prevention of nearly all chronic illness. It doesn't have to be in a gym or P90X. You just have to stay moving. 

One last thing. 
I'm not sure I want kids of my own. I know I'm not the only woman out there that thinks this with a little bit of guilt, but the more I say it, the more I realize I'm not a monster.

But I can't wait to be an aunt. 
I. can't. wait. 

Happy Thursday blogees, you're almost to the weekend!

1 comment: